Particulars of One Year Filmmaking Program
- Type of program: Academic education
- Programs offered: Program in English
- Length of program: One year
- Prerequisite: High School diploma or completion of secondary school
- Diploma: Certificate stating the completion of the program
The International Department at EICAR offers a one year filmmaking program covering the fundamentals of visual storytelling – directing, editing, screenwriting, cinematography, producing. This program is designed to give the candidate the opportunity to discover and practice all basic aspects of the filmmaking craft.
The one year student takes the range of first year Bachelor core classes with some flexibility over how many core classes they want to take from these first year classes. The student can take all or as few as they want from these selections. The one year candidate may also in some exceptional circumstances be qualified to substitute where schedule permits a second year BFA class that he or she is qualified for.
The one year follows the three term academic year; the first term consisting of theoretical classes and “hands-on” practical exercises, the second consisting of core classes and workshops and the third term devoted to working on the production of a student film.
Validation of credits
After successfully completing 180 ECTS by through passing all core classes, the one year certificate is issued.
Students are introduced to the fundamentals – directing, production, cinematography, screenwriting or editing – of the art and craft of film production in a predominately hands-on-film curriculum with complimentary theoretical and film culture classes.
- In addition to the workshops and one-on-one tutoring, One year filmmaking program students can choose up to 60 credits of courses from the EICAR English language BFA film curriculum. The program also includes 4 months of “on the set” student film production where One year program students have the opportunity to work in the various posts of cinema production along with students from the Bachelor and Master programs.
- The program serves as a powerful springboard for students looking to begin their film education.
English language Hands-On-Film program in the cinema capital of the world
- Complete “learning by doing” curriculum in the fundamentals of filmmaking
- Extensive one-on-one tutoring with film professionals
- Faculty and tutors – A-list film professionals
- Screenings, workshops & seminars in partnership with La Cinémathèque Française (French National Film Museum)
- This is a non-degree, non ECTS program.
Students who successfully complete the program have the opportunity to enter the EICAR Bachelor program (or Master program if they qualify).
If students then decide to continue and enter an EICAR program, and only under this condition, the One Year Filmmaking Program can be allotted 60 credits, but only as applied to the BFA program continued study.
Master Class Lecture Series
Master Class Lecture Series is a weekly program where guest speakers, internationally renowned film, television and media professionals, all celebrated in their specific fields, give a two–hour lecture on the subject of their expertise.
You will meet directors, producers, actors, editors, authors, musicians, costume designers, directors of photography, sound designers and more. Our guests come to share their work, their stories and their experience. Films and film clips will be shown to illustrate their work.
Guests we have welcomed in the past include:
- Jan Harlan – Kubrick’s producer
- Richard Leacock – Founder of the modern documentary
- Gloria Katz & Willard Huyck – Screenwriters (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, American Graffiti’s)
- Douglas Kennedy – Screenwriter & novelist
- Matthew Robbins – Writer / Producer (Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Guillermo Del Toro, Walter Murch)
- Charlotte Rampling – Actress (Oscar nominee Best Actress)
- Adrian Smith – Production designer (Full Metal Jacket)
- Stephen M. Katz – Director of Photography (Blues Brothers)
- Agnès Godard – Director of photography (Best Photo César for Claire Denis’s film Beau Travail)
- Olivier Megaton – Director (Transporter 3, Colombiana, Taken 2)
- Randa Haines – Director (Children of a Lesser God nominated for Golden Globes, BAFTA & Academy Awards)
- Hervé Schneid – Editor (Alien: Resurrection, Delicatessen, Amelie, The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet)
Every year EICAR, the International School of Film and Television invests and updates its inventory of equipment and the school’s production and post – production facilities to keep on the cutting edge of the industry …
For exercise work and final film projects, students in our Master programs have access to a diverse range of camera, both digital and film :
- RED WEAPON HELIUM 8K
- ARRI ALEXA PLUS
- SONY PMW-F5 et PMW-FS7
- Blackmagic URSA 4K
- Super 16 mm with lenses
- Panasonic DVX200 4K
- Panasonic AF101, HPX 250, P2 HPX 500, P2 HVX 200, HMC 151, HMC 41
- HD playback and monitor
- Numerous prosumer cameras for quick practical work : SONY, JVC, CANON
The production teams have access to various microphones depending on the shooting situation as well as mixers and digital recorders to record pro sound.
- Directional mics, lav and shotgun mics (Sennheiser, Røde…)
- Sound mixers (Sound devices)
- Digital recorders
As far as lighting, kits can include (according to level and production needs – HMI, LED, Tungsten, Fresnel… and are regularly dedicated to serving actual practical production classes like cinematography and lab directing:
- 575 up to 1,2kWatt HMI lighting units
- 200 W LED lights equipped with fresnel lenses
- LED PANEL lights
- Tungsten units ranging from 750W to 2kW
- 300 watt to 5K Lighting units with Fresnel lenses
- Kino fluos
In post-production, student filmmakers can work on editing and sound in 85 post production work stations equipped with the latest software including :
- Final Cut Pro
- Avid Media Composer
- Adobe CC, After Effects, Premiere
A number of shooting accessories are available to help students in shooting their exercises and final film projects :
- Dolly and rail
- Flags and nets
- Lightweight grip gear : clamps, arms, stands
18 November 2019
ON SATURDAY, DECEMBER 7TH, FROM 10 AM TO 5 PM Discover our school, our professional environment and our facilities....
19 September 2019
The UK and Irish cinema release EICAR visiting professor’s feature film!
Australian filmmaker, screenwriter and actress Jennifer Kent is about to release her second feature film ‘The...