International Department students, faculty members and film professionals gathered at the Cinémathèque française for its 11th annual Film Awards and Graduation Ceremony.
On December 9th, EICAR’s International Department celebrated the best of this past year’s student films in the Cinémathèque’s prestigious Henri Langlois Theater.
After a few words from EICAR’s Bob Swaim and Deputy General Manager Frédéric Bereyziat of the Cinémathèque française, the audience had the pleasure of seeing a 2009 to 2018 retrospective of the EICAR films that won Best Cinematography followed by, outside the competition, a documentary, THE ROAD, selected from EICAR’s documentary productions which are an important part of the curriculum.
The selection for the EICAR’s Awards and Graduation screening at the Cinémathéque, was very competitive this year. Of the 100 scripts developed in the screenwriting classes, 49 were submitted to the faculty Greenlighting Committee. 23 projects were retained and put into production. 9 films were selected for the Cinemathéque competition. “This year”, as Department Director Bob Swaim told the packed audience, “ 8 of the 9 films selected are written and directed by women, and the majority of the cinematographers shooting these films were women, proof that the cinema is changing and our audio visual industry will be a better place because of it.”
A jury composed of internationally renowned film professionals
Once again the jury was composed of internationally renowned film professionals:
- CATHERINE DUSSART – Jury president
Distinguished producer having produce some 100 films in 15 countries – films awarded prizes in Cannes & Venice Film Festivals, consultant for the Doha Film Institute and a member of the Board of Directors of the Franco-Russian Film Academy.
- PATRICK BOUCHITEY
Actor, winner of César Award, who has worked with such notable directors as Robert Enrico, Claude Miller, Alain Cavalier.
- ANNE LE CAMPION
Award winning sound recordist, sound mixer for Luc Besson, Roman Polanski, Alain Corneau.
- MARC EISENCHTETER
screenwriter, show runner, novelist, head writer of many successful TV French series.
- FRED GARSON
Started as Asst director with Antonioni, WimWenders, Luc Besson and went on to become a director of hit tv series and feature films.
- JAKE LAMAR
Award winning author – a memoir, 7 novels, dozens of short stories, and a play.
- SYLVIE LANDRA
One France’s great film editors with 4 César nominations – worked with Istvan Szabo, Roger Avery, Agnieska Holland. Member of Hollywood’s Academy of Motion Pictures-Oscars.
- STEVEN RUBIN
40 year veteran of the film industry –went on to become Vice Pres Marketing & Distribution of EuropaCorp, Luc Besson’s company. His string of hits include Amélie Poulain, Die Another Day, Moulin Rouge, The Little Prince- César for Best animation.
The Jury members with EICAR Film Awards 2019 winners.
The 2018-20129 Awards winners are:
- Best Student Film – Albert R. Broccoli Award : ANOTHER SHOT directed by Tobias MUSANTE (BFA3)
- Best Cinematography : Sierra KINSORA (BFA3) for NINE GRAMS OF LEAD directed by JJ WATSON (BFA3)
- Best Editing : Marta BIANCHERI (BFA3) for BERNADETTE directed by Zoe MITCHELL (MFA1)
- Best Sound : Tom McEVOY (Sound design 3), Louison DARNAY (BTS 2), Nicolas ROULIS (Réalisation Sonore alumnus) & Simon JOUTEAU (Réalisation Sonore 2) for NINE GRAMS OF LEAD directed by JJ WATSON (BFA3)
- Best Production Design : Alice VORU (Réalisation 3) for FATA MORGANA directed by Angelina KOMAROVA (BFA3)
- Best Music Composition : Ivan DESCAMPS (Réalisation Sonore – Composition) for WHEN WE WERE ONE directed by Sara TABSH (MFA2)
- Special Mention : Julia SPORRE for her role as “Elsa” in LÅTSAS SOM DET REGNAR (Pretend It’s Raining) directed by Mona RATHSMAN (BFA3)
- Special Mention : Danila DEDOVETS for his role as “Max” in the film FATA MORGANA directed by Angelina KOMAROVA (BFA3)
- Outstanding Achievement Award : Sierra KINSORA (BFA3) & Mona RATHSMAN (BFA3)
The Graduation Ceremony was a memorable time for everyone. It was a celebration of our students’ accomplishments and ambitions.
A prestigious jury, amazing films and an uplifting spirit throughout the day made for a spectacular event!
You'll also like
16 November 2020
Online Open House
Saturday 5th December, 2020 Attention: We will be conducting the Open House event on Saturday online. #StayAtHome We...
3 November 2020
EICAR student wins Palme d’or at the Cannes Festival!
After becoming the first Egyptian short film to be selected at the world-renowned Cannes Film Festival, “I Am Afraid...